Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shimmer



I have pretty much always been a fan of hard rock. But my affinity for a certain unnamed TV show has caused me to listen to some lighter music and some artists I may not have never listened to. One of those artists is Shawn Mullins. I don't know what it is about his music that captivates me. I just can't stop listening.

One of his songs that really touches me is "Shimmer." I'm not sure why, but every time I hear it I get teary. I guess it reminds me of how innocent we are when we are born, and the many things we come in contact with as we grow that take our innocence away.

The last verse is what really gets to me. I know my innocence is gone and I know this world is desperately trying to pull me down even further. But greater than the worlds desire, is God's desire for me to shine. Check out the lyrics:

Sharing with us what he knows
shining eyes are big and blue
and all around him water flows
this world to him is new
this world to him is new

he´s born to shimmer,he´s born to shine
he´s born to radiate
he´s born to live,he´s born to love
but we will teach him how to hate

and this thing they call our time
heard a brilliant woman say
she said you know it´s crazy
how I want to try to capture mine
I think I love this woman´s way
I think I love this woman´s

way she shimmers,the way she shines
the way she radiates
the way she lives,the way she loves
the way she never hates

sometimes I think of all this that can surround me
I know it all as being mine
but she kisses me and she wraps her love around me
she gives me love,she gives me time
and I feel fine

but time I cannot change
so here´s to looking back
you know I drink a whole bottle of my pride
and I toast to change
to keep these demons off my back
just get these demons off my back

Cause I want to shimmer, I want to shine
I want to radiate
I want to live,I want to love
I want to try to learn not to hate
try not to hate
we´re born to shimmer,
we´re born to shine,
we´re born to radiate,
we´re born to live,we´re born to love
we´re born to never hate

We were born to shine! I love that line. I think Jesus would agree. I know he would because he said it long before Shawn did. "Let your light so shine before men..." He said it even bolder in Luke 11 when he said, "See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness. Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you."

Here's a simple question for you: What have you done this week that "Shimmered?"

If you have never heard the song, here is a link for the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJsrz4NQr18

No comments:

Post a Comment