Thursday, June 4, 2009

Holiness By Grace


I guess I am one of these guys who likes many things that the mainstream does not like, and doesn't like many things that the mainstream seems to embrace. This is especially true with books.

You will not catch me reading a Harry Potter or Twilight book. Not because I think they are inherently "evil," I just have better things to do with my time than read a 7000 page book! I mostly read for information, but one subject I love to read about is Grace.

One of the best books I have read on the subject is "Holiness By Grace" by Bryan Chapell. The book came out about 10 years ago and didn't seem to create much of a buzz. Most of the time when I mention it, people have never heard of it. I looked on Amazon and saw that it has been reprinted recently. I highly recommend you read it.

One of the most memorable parts of the book is when he relates Christ’s parable in Luke 17:7-10 to a modern day scenario.

Luke 17:7‑10 - "Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'

Chapell compares this to a restaurant experience. Your waitress might give you the best service you have ever had but if she came and sat down at the table when she was done, you would question her. “Well, I did a good job serving you, so now I’m a part of your family.” That simply wouldn't fly would it? Service no more makes you a part of the family that buying your way in. The only way an outsider can become a part of a family is through invitation. God, through His grace, has invited us to be a part of His family. It is an invitation only affair.

I guess grace is a difficult concept to grasp because of our “humanness.” There are conditions on everything! Everything has fine print at the bottom. Even a relationship between man and wife has conditions. We call it unconditional, but in reality if you have an affair... The only relationship without fine print is the one with God. It’s not about us and our goodness, it’s all about God an his goodness. (Thank goodness!)

Another phrase in the book that jumped off of the page and smacked me in the face was this: "God is not moved by our works." WOW! Not that God does not expect us to serve him, but our works do not make us holy.

Hebrews 10:9-11 Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second. And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.

God makes us holy by his grace. When we put our obedient faith in Jesus Christ, God takes our sinful lives and says "you're holy."

Does that mean we just sit comfortably in the "easy chair"of Christianity? Paul would respond by saying "God forbid." When we recognize the gift we have been given, the gift of holiness made possible by the grace of God, we strive to please him. We do not sit comfortably in the "easy chair" of Christianity, rather, we rest safely in the arms of Jesus. Can you think of anything that is a better motivation that that?

Buy the book. I think I'll read it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment